Backpacking for a trip is usually a tricky thing to do especially when you have to take things according to their level of priority. Hills are among those places where you can’t take just anything! And it is valid for most or all the places you go to. Taking a trip to the north is on most of the travel bucket lists and backpacking in Himachal may arouse dilemma in your head. You’ll want to pack so many things that won’t come handy in your trip. It usually happens to me, I often carry a lot of useless things; I carry them because they ‘might’ come handy but clearly, they don’t!
Here, I am going to make it easier for you to pack when taking a trip to Himachal. Yes, you can trust me, they are tried and tested!!
1. Warm clothes – Himachal it is! It’s a Himalayan region we are talking about and though I do not feel the need to tell you this, but yes! You have to carry warm clothes! In the summers, the day time has pleasant sun so a couple of clothes from your summer collection will be just fine.
Travel tip: To get away with the luggage you can carry wind shelter jackets. These help you get away with mild cold.
2. Guide book – It is a smart thing to carry when you travel. It’s pretty much normal because you want to know about the place and discover things that you may otherwise not know about. Also, you can decide whether you want to keep certain places on your list or not.
3. Map – It may be silly to think of a map in the mobile generation but not when you are an old school. A map comes handy when you wish to explore alone. Before you take a map along, it would be my pleasure to remind you to train yourself how to read maps. It’ll be amusing when you are lost and you take a map out and get more lost! 😛 And trust me, it’ll be a good replacement for a mobile.
4. Trekking shoes – Isn’t that obvious? I mean duh-uh! Hills! Trekking shoes! Sounds familiar, right? Even sports shoes would work, just make you can walk with them comfortably for miles.
5. First aid kit – Carrying a first aid kit and not using it tells that the trip went well. It is a nice thing! You should carry a tiny first aid box with all the necessary medicines (especially the ones which help you with the altitude sickness) and band aids.
6. Rain poncho – Carrying umbrellas can be a mess and not so fun. A rain poncho is a better alternative to it. It can be stuffed anywhere in the bag and no worries about losing it somewhere you would lose your umbrella.
Travel tip: Use rain ponchos to save your backpack too.
Essential things to pack when you are bitten by as travel bug (as bad as me).
1. Mini rope (Around 50 meters) – It will be useful when you go for a trek and also otherwise when you are exploring places and you need to set a mini tent for a night. When you go alone exploring!
2. Whistle – When you read the map wrong and you have no hope a whistle will help you getting rescued. It’ll also be a safety alarm for females who travel alone.
3. Lighter – For fire of course!
4. Water – Because water is life!
Travel tip: To make the most of the trip, travel light! Explore corners of Himachal and make sure you backpack important things for your safety and comfort. Have a nice trip! 🙂
Read more about Himachal Here!
Sumedha is pursuing her Bachelor’s Degree in
Mass Communication. Since she was bitten by a travel bug in her childhood, she loves to travel and explore new corners along with experimenting with food.
Her interests include writing her heart out and believes in staying true to her work.